The shaft is too damn good

Please give us your opinions on gameplay and any suggestions you have which could make Dystopia better.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

excellent. (+2)
9%
could be cool. (+1)
9%
do not like it. (-1)
82%

Total votes : 11

Postby MaZe741 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:13 am

I represent the "shaft is too damn good" party. People are using shaft as we speak. Poor non-scs deckers losing battles giving their best LISTEN; can you hear the tears of rage spilled by skillful deckers losing to beginners that do not even know what the minigames do? gotta listen like me.

as a decking expert, I will not blame anyone for doing so. Shaft on vaccine, shaft on fortress, shaft on detonate and even silo. you wanna know why?

you said it; because the shaft is too damn good.

but unlike the whitebeard, I offer some solutions:

- direct nerf
switch shaft energy consumption with hitscan. maybe there is a reason that the weapon with the highest dps does not consume the most energy, but I dont really see it.
(max dps max consumption solution)

alternatively, make shaft energy consumption rise exponentially the longer you use it. this value decreases in the same fashion or linearly as soon as you stop using shaft.
(overheat solution)

-indirect nerf
make all cyber weapons deal damage to your targets health constantly, not only when you deck them out. but, shaft also deals damage to your own health. (palpatine solution)

alternatively, only projectile hits and hitscan do healthdamage.
you can still combo shaft + switches to deal additional healthdamage, however shaft alone can never breach the threshold, it will only constantly deplete it.
(shaftshield solution)

prominent existing solutions to prevent getting shafted are +jumping and nodecamping, both are very boring, annoying and require no skill. this is why I'd rather nerf shaft in a different way, I starve to get a discussion going.
Buffing normal deck hardly matters seeing as it's so useless most of the time
Professional conclusions by professional playtesters.
MaZe741
PHAN
PHAN

Re: The shaft is too damn good

Postby YoRu » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:51 am

shaft isn't so much super high DPS as it is super annoying.

having the constant "im being hit" noise can rly mess ppl up in cyber.

but i think the shaft is fine now.
WASCHIIIINNÖÖÖ!!!ÄÄÄ!!111one
YoRu
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Apathy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:34 pm

Just do what you do when you deck and +spacebar all the time. I find that just as annoying because I shaft 65% of the time, but hey it's a valid counter until you get a projectile stopping your incessant bouncing. (Yes it takes no skill, but it is what it is)

In all seriousness though, I've had zero issues with swapping in between weapons HS/Shaft and using them in a given situation. It just depends on the map, sure it may be a little better than 1.2's shaft but it's not amazing in all of the maps. If you're dead set on just using hit-scan only you just have to play at a distance or start improving your shaft play to be more balanced(I know you know this, but I'm just saying this in general because I see in-game complaints from others).

Either way, shaft is fine and if you're losing because you're not using SCS and they are... Then well yeah, 25 energy is a huge difference. =/

-1'ing even though your ideas seem fun, but just not necessary.
Kevinkantaja: IT'S NOT MY FAULT THIS ISN'T A WORLD FOR AN EMOTIONAL MALE
Omnigord: Puny Human Forums: New look, new game, same McMuffin.
Apathy
PHAN
PHAN

AOL: TensaigaSage

Postby Pyroguy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:23 pm

This thread makes no sense. Whatsoever.
Pyroguy
PHAN
PHAN

AOL: o+pyroguy+o

Postby MaZe741 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:51 am

This thread makes no sense. Whatsoever.
It does to me. Dystopia is built on the principle of making tense situations. Shaft however is boring and leads to bad gameplay experience.

It's not that I just dont like playing against shaft. In fact, shaft is so good that I get bored for using it.
I'd like to nerf it, and I suggested multiple reasonable and implementable solutions, that nobody of you has taken reference to why those wouldnt be viable.

most of them wont prevent any of you using shaft, it will only make it more difficult, because you have to decide if it's worth using it EVEN THOUGHT it has the highest dps.
Buffing normal deck hardly matters seeing as it's so useless most of the time
Professional conclusions by professional playtesters.
MaZe741
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Fairy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:04 pm

Shaft actually hits 1.3 which was not the case in 1.2. And that's apparently the problem for you.

Also No.
Fairy
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Pyroguy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:24 am

I feel like there was a lengthly and much more intelligible discussion about this particular subject before, originally started by murphy? Maybe it was in the tester forum.
Pyroguy
PHAN
PHAN

AOL: o+pyroguy+o

Postby theonlyintruder » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:49 am

Well, shaft as it is now has been balanced pretty well and it was certainly focus before for a lot of discussion. In the supporter testing of the shaft, the size of the shaft was so great it was like using the fatman fist with longer range, in other words it was a case of hold mouse1 to win. It went through a couple of revisions to the point where it is now. Shaft can be OP but only if you are good at maintaining your aim and staying in range of the enemy decker.

Like most weapons in dystopia, shaft is certainly situational. You wouldn't want to be using shaft on the second objective of fortress now would you where people can maintain high speed and distance.

The main thing about shaft and by extension the cyberdeck is that it takes time and practice to use properly and that is just the way it goes.

Shaft in 1.2 still had the highest dps but was hard to use effectively for most people in which case the gap between the highly skilled players and the less was wider. 1.3 shaft means it is easier for less skilled players to use while it makes not much difference to the highly skilled. Eitherway, the player with the higher skill is still going to deck you out no matter what.
theonlyintruder
PHAN
PHAN

Postby Nord » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:29 am

My shaft is bigger than yours.

edit:
Shaft in 1.2 still had the highest dps but was hard to use effectively for most people in which case the gap between the highly skilled players and the less was wider. 1.3 shaft means it is easier for less skilled players to use while it makes not much difference to the highly skilled. Eitherway, the player with the higher skill is still going to deck you out no matter what.
Yes. This is absolutely correct.
Nord
PHAN
PHAN

Postby {McMuffin} » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:31 pm

so which is better nubs getting owned in cyber by pros or nubs having a chance in cyber against pros

WOW THAT'S A LOW PRICE!
{McMuffin}
PHAN
PHAN

Return to “%s” Dystopia Suggestions